[NTLUG:Discuss] FW: Problem installing FC 6 (continued) - round 2

John K. Taber jktaber at charter.net
Sat Apr 21 09:00:20 CDT 2007

> An option which might be particularly appealing to you is
> http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/.  This CD already contains the TestDisk
> program I mentioned using to find your Linux partition along with a
> boatload of other tools.

Wow. That one reminds me of IBM's old hip pocket utility, DEBE (Does
Everything But Eat).

Anyhow, I did run grub from the rescue disk, and executed the grub
commands you gave me. There was a Linux partition on hd1, but no grub
files. Here are the results literally (except for line wrap):

grub> geometry (hd0,0)
drive 0x80: C/H/S = 9726/255/63, The number of sectors = 156250000,
/dev/sda
   Partition num 0: Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0xde
   Partition num 1: Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x7
   Partition num 2: Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0xdb

grub> geometry (hd1,0)
drive 0x81: C/H/S = 9964/255/63, The number of sectors = 160086528,
/dev/sdb
   Partition num 0: Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
   Partition num 1: Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x8e

grub> find /boot/grub/menu.lst
	... File not found
grub> find /boot/grub/grub.conf
	... File not found

I experimented with grub find trying to specify the drive, but no grub
file was found.

My interpretation is that Install formatted sdb, but nothing was
installed. I suppose that Partition 1 is type unknown because it is a
LVM. Or, perhaps the LVM never got formatted.

Nobody asked because it's so obvious, but I did the SHA1SUM checks on
the iso's. And I performed the media tests on all CDs. They checked out
fine.

I'm trying to install on a Dell Dimension 4700, with two SATA drives,
Maxtor 80 GB. Windows XP is installed on the first drive.

Bleaah!