[NTLUG:Discuss] Samba server + AD domain

. Daniel xdesign at hotmail.com
Wed May 2 14:46:50 CDT 2007

I'm wondering what I'm missing.  What's more, this has got the be a fairly
common implementation and I'm surprised I haven't found any specific
examples on the subject.  (Perhaps I am searching the wrong terms?)  I know
this can be done.  Just don't know why it's not working exactly.  (I
suspect something to do with LDAP but I haven't read much on configuring or
setting it up)

What I have been able to find information on I have working.

I'll try to list what works here:

Samba server can connect to AD domain.  The AD controller shows it's there.
Network browsing shows the box.  From the Samba server, I can do "wbinfo
-u" and get all the users and "wbinfo -g" and get all the groups.  In fact,
all tests I have run using wbinfo works.

The symptom is that when I set up a share, I cannot get any authentication
to use it no matter what user I select... local or AD user.

Further, I cannot do anything with setfacl as it does not recognize my AD
groups when I mention them by name.

Should I provide the exact smb.conf file?  Should I provide the krb5.conf
file?  What ldap line(s) should I include and where?  I have none at the
moment.

I get the feeling this should all be rather easy and that the
implementation I seek to set up should be rather common.  I'm just baffled.