[NTLUG:Discuss] Asking the right Questions (Samba + AD)

. Daniel xdesign at hotmail.com
Wed May 9 17:38:59 CDT 2007

Chris?  Haven't heard from ya... I'm prepared to make the write-up for you.

Funny little update to the situation.  I went to add a second machine onto
the network.  Same OS.  Same basic configuration.  Danged thing wouldn't
join the AD domain properly!  I started doing some side-by-side comparisons
between the working machine and the one not working and I finally found the
detail that was keeping the thing broken.

As it turned out, when I "named" the machine, I didn't give it a fully
qualified name.  In this case I called is "hostbox" instead of
"hostbox.adomain.com"  That little detail was enough to keep Kerberos +
Winbind from doing its thing.  Oddly, the machine account was being created
but disabled at the same time.  ODD symptoms.  And as before, I searched
the net for the error messages, and I found many hits on the topic, but no
answers.

I'm even more motivated than before to write up my findings and to put some
procedure together for how to do this so that other people do not suffer as
I do.