[NTLUG:Discuss] Trying to block all China/KoreaIPs ingreylisting

. Daniel xdesign at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 13 13:14:10 CDT 2007

"A Lot"?  Greylisting makes a HUGE difference.  It's very effective.  But
that's not where it stops.  A lot of crap does get through.  I have seen
"attacks" come through where the attacker(s) just pushed and pushed and
pushed sending two, three or more of the same email over and over.  Perhaps
if I had my greylisting set up to have more than a 0-second retry delay
that might have helped.  But even at 0, it does a tremendous job.

Mostly what gets through is spam coming from actual mail servers...servers
that retry.  And a lot of those are coming from or through other countries.

I have already started seeing some positive reaction from the RelayCountry
thing.  Countries are being identified and stuff.  Nigeria isn't listed in
my rules yet but they will be... what's the country code for Nigeria?  NI?
I just had one stopped by spam assassin a little while ago... a 419 scam.
Spam Assassin stopped it for reasons other than country of origin.

My setup does a pretty decent job but it's far from perfect.