[NTLUG:Discuss] Switching ISPs - Earthlink uses port 587 for email???

Daniel Hauck daniel at yacg.com
Sun Oct 7 09:04:49 CDT 2007

I have had to deal with a similar problem during my last visit to Japan.
  It seems the "ISP uses 587 and blocks outgoing SMTP" solution is used
everywhere in abundance.  Worse still is when a user subscribes to the
service of another ISP or mail service and they can't send to their
email server because both SMTP *and* 587 are commandeered by the
currently connected ISP preventing the access to alternative outgoing
mail services.

I'm going to hate this part of moving to Japan.  Out here, I can run my
own mail server.  Over there, I'll be lucky to send email at all!