[NTLUG:Discuss] Can't log into desktop, can SSH into box

Minh Duong minh_duong at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 1 17:13:49 CST 2007

--- Robert Citek <robert.citek at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/01/2007 04:27 PM, Minh Duong wrote:
> > Thanks, it was a WinBind issue.  I replied to the
> last
> > person and forgot to reply to the entire list.  I
> > turned off WinBind authentication and it works
> now.
> > Thanks all for your help.
>
> Inquiring minds want to know how you figured that
> out.
>
> Regards,
> - Robert

I went to text login to remove any X dependencies by
using CTR-ALT-F1.  I tried to login using a user.  It
failed.  So I logged in as root in text.

tail /var/log/messages

got me the end of the system messages.  The error said
something like:

Nov 30 12:00:01 server pam_winbind[4083]: write to
socket failed!

I really don't know what Winbind is for so I went to
setup and turned it off.