[NTLUG:Discuss] hp dv9620us

Chris Cox cjcox at acm.org
Fri Dec 28 17:17:48 CST 2007

Dennis Kaptain wrote:

> All
> I have totally given up trying to get the BCM94311MCG wireless card on
> the dv9620us to work in Fedora 8. I put it back in the box and took
> it back to Office Depot. I'm not normally one to give up easily and
> I'd say I didn't. I tried the b43 driver, the bcm43xx driver, about 6
> versions of XP drivers in ndiswrapper and even some Vista drivers although
> I saw reports that ndiswrappers doesn't support any Vista drivers.
>
> I had the best performance from the b43 driver. It would connect to the
> network and I could ping other machines and load web pages for about 2 to
> 3 seconds. Then it would disconnect. Curiously, while I was FTP'ing a large
> file over to the HP, it would disconnect and then keep reconnecting. So I
> could use the wireless connection as long as my ftp client (gftp) was
> transferring a large file. Not an ideal solution. ;-)
>
> So now I am back to shopping for a laptop. I'm staying away from HP
> because it seems they all have that evil broadcom card. I'm thinking about
> a Sony Viao. I'm just a little concerned about the Intel x3100 video card.
> I've been reading various forums and it seems the best anyone can say
> for it is "OK". Not great. Does anyone have any experience with
> that card? Does it perform well? Can I run Flight Gear Flight Simulator (fgfs)?
>
> I really want to be able to use fgfs. That program needs some pretty
> fast frame rates and processor power to run right.
>
> BTW, my first question about re-partitioning became a moot point.
> I discovered that the dv9620us actually has 2 - 120GB hard drives.
> I kept /dev/sda as Vista and installed F8 on /dev/sdb. Really easy!

I know I've used the ndiswrapper with the Dell 1390, but what you have is like the
Dell 1490... and I have no idea.  However, with that said, I know that with the
Dell laptops you CAN order them with the Intel wireless instead.  So maybe
yours was replaceable also?  Sorry it didn't work out well.

I just bought my wife a Dell D630 (with a 1390... not my choice got a good deal).
Everything works just fine.  Right now she has a dual boot with OpenSUSE 10.3.
Hers has the Nvidia Quadro 130m in it.  Decent performer.  And it's totally
tricked out an stable with Compiz Fusion.