[NTLUG:Discuss] Web-server Farm - Networking Question

David Simmons dave at dgnal.net
Thu Jan 3 22:51:45 CST 2008

> I guess without knowing completely what you are wanting to
accomplish
> it's difficult to suggest a solution (?).

Recently on a box hosting 5 sites.....one of the clients was hacked with
a phishing issue.  Redirected all traffic from the phished-area to
the FBI.  Started checking some other things to see what else might
have been infected - only to find out when I redirected the traffic; that
triggered a complete hard-drive erase.

Needless to say - it
wasn't a fun time for that site...or the other 4....luckily I have other
web servers so everything didn't go down, but it was a real pain in the
keester

SO I swore to myself that it wouldn't happen again - if
someone's site gets hacked - it's only taking down their own stuff (hence
the need for VMs).....and I really like the idea of live-migration to
other hardware if/when the need arises to update/change hardware.

My current setup only has/had 5 static IPs.....that's what started the
whole search for VM web-farm on private IPs.

Does that help
clarify toward a better solution?

- dave