[NTLUG:Discuss] OT: Stupid hardware question

Robert Citek robert.citek at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 10:32:51 CST 2008

On Jan 20, 2008 2:39 AM, Leroy Tennison <leroy_tennison at prodigy.net> wrote:
> Robert Citek wrote:
> > On Jan 19, 2008 5:51 PM, Leroy Tennison <leroy_tennison at prodigy.net> wrote:
> >> This is a good approach, just be aware that 'root=UUID' doesn't work as
> >> a kernel command-line parameter.
> >
> > I don't follow.  What do you mean?
> >
> One of the kernel command line parameters is
>
> root= ...

root=UUID=... does work with newer kernels, e.g. Ubuntu 7.10's 2.6.22.
 And, yes, LABEL= or UUID= is a great way to boot multiple OSes on a
single drive.  In fact, I'm redoing one of my drives like so:

/dev/sda = MBR with grub boot loader
/dev/sda1 = vfat with MBR grub files
/dev/sda2 = Windows XP
/dev/sda3 = Ubuntu 7.04 in one partition with "local" grub and swapfile
/dev/sda4 = Extended partition
/dev/sda5 = Debian Etch in one partition with "local" grub and swapfile
/dev/sda6 = Ubuntu 7.10 in one partition with "local" grub and swapfile
/dev/sda7 = Ubuntu 8.04 in one partition with "local" grub and swapfile

The MBR grub file chain loads the "local" grubs.  Here's an earlier
version of how I used grub's chainloading:

http://groups.google.com/group/cwelug/msg/d2288576c0b29c13

Regards,
- Robert