[NTLUG:Discuss] Grub assistance

Stuart Johnston saj at thecommune.net
Wed Jan 23 09:48:22 CST 2008

If you really want to skip the rescue CD, it sounds like you already
know exactly what you need to do.  I've never tried this myself (and I
guess no one else on the list has either) so I can't give you any more
reassurance than "this sounds reasonable".

 > The great mystic, Google, hints at running "grub-install /dev/hdb"
 > Does something like that work in grub?

> I think I would
> need to change the root lines to root (hd0,1)

Why not give it a try and then enlighten us all?  One of the nice things
about Grub is that you can easily change your boot options directly from
the boot loader so if you screw-up your conf file, you're not totally
screwed.

Here's an article on grub I happened across that looks pretty good:
http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2007/03/21/using-grub-to-overcome-boot-problems

Then, even if you can't work it out with grub, there is always the
rescue disk option.  And, of course, back up all your data before you do
anything.

Good luck!