[NTLUG:Discuss] Screen Resolution Problem

terry trryhend at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 22:32:09 CST 2008

On Jan 24, 2008 9:08 PM, Dennis Kaptain <dkaptain at yahoo.com.mx> wrote:
> I have a user who damaged something in his account that affects the screen resolution on his account.
>
> This is a Fedora 7 system running GNOME.

Is your Fedora7 system fully updated?
     (If not, do updates.)

> When the user logs in, the maximum screen resolution that works is 800x600. The 2 higher options (1024x768 and 1280x1024) are listed but they don't work. If the user attempts to set the screen to the higher resolutions the screen is black and [CTL] [ALT] [Backspace] is required to get out of the session and try again.

That's pretty strange, not sure....   But....

Fedora8 release date was   22-Oct-2007  So...
Grab the fedora 8 CD and choose upgrade from the menu.

Or......

If your Fedora7 system is fully updated; It's a good time to upgrade
from Fedora7 to Fedora8
Grab the fedora 8 CD and choose upgrade from the menu.
Or....
See:
http://www.howtoforge.com/upgrading-fedora7-desktop-to-fedora8

Or...
If you do not have very many third party applications installed and if
you have have /home in a separate logical volume or partition, [it
makes backing up user data easier]. (This is a feature requested for
the Fedora Installer.) If /home is on a separate partition,  [you're
in a good position to do an upgrade] just leave it as is, do the
install  / re-install from CD and you should have all user files
untouched after it's over.
See:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DistributionUpgrades

> When I log in on my account, everything is fine. I can set the screen to the maximum resolution without any problem. This tells me that the problem is a configuration problem in the users home directory and not a problem with the X configuration or anything else on the system level.
>
> The only clues I have are that in my account the refresh rate has only one option of 60Hz and in the users account the refresh rate has only one option of 85Hz and the following lines from .xsession-errors on the troubled user's account:
>
> [chris at esperanza ~]$ cat .xsession-errors
> localuser:chris being added to access control list
> SESSION_MANAGER=local/unix:/tmp/.ICE-unix/16819
> ** Message: Failed to write /home/chris/Desktop/2.jpg to thumbnail pixbuf loader: Unrecognized image file format
> [chris at esperanza ~]$
>
> My account does not have a .xsession-errors file.
>
> I could very easily backup the users data, delete and re-create the user account, and restore the data and I'm sure that would fix the problem but I'd like to understand what happened.
>

> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
> Dennis Kaptain

> ¡Capacidad ilimitada de almacenamiento en tu correo!
> No te preocupes más por el espacio de tu cuenta con Correo Yahoo!:
> http://correo.yahoo.com.mx/

OCEAN:
        A body of water occupying about two-thirds
        of a world made for man -- who has no gills.

--
                  <><