[NTLUG:Discuss] Domain name ideas

Stuart Johnston saj at thecommune.net
Mon Jan 28 16:43:08 CST 2008

Greg Edwards wrote:
> I am working on a project that some of you might find interesting.  In a
> couple weeks we will start looking for people to join in on our projects
> and I hope that NTLUG will be a resource that we can tap into.
>

> The Boy Scouts of America will be jumping into the Open Source
> Community.  We will be opening up an OSS Website that will serve as a
> general OSS resource.  The website will include hosted projects,
> application catalogs, and OSS educational material for both technical
> and non technical users.

Is the target audience Scouts, Troop leaders (software and resources for
running a troop), or general interest?

> Does anyone have an opinion on a good domain name for the OSS Website?

I would avoid emphasizing the term OSS (or any TLA, really).  Many
people won't know what it means and it also has multiple expansions.  I
do like OpenSourceScouting.org though since it aludes to OSS without
relying on it.  Or perhaps something simpler like OpenScouting.org?

Here's an anti-suggestion: ScoutForge.net (ugh!)