[NTLUG:Discuss] Open Source

Leroy Tennison leroy_tennison at prodigy.net
Wed Jan 30 22:27:27 CST 2008

Daniel Hauck wrote:
> Greg Edwards wrote:
>>> From: discuss-bounces at ntlug.org [mailto:discuss-bounces at ntlug.org] On
>>> Behalf Of Kenneth Loafman
>> than
>>> Many years ago I committed to replace 100 Windows systems with Linux
>>> systems, both at work and for friends.  Its been a battle in some
>> cases
>>> and a real pleasure in others, but I made it and kept on going.  If we
>>> all did the same thing, we could make progress.
>>>
>>> Word-of-mouth advertising is the most potent form of advertising.
>>>
>>> ...Ken
>>>
>> One of the aspect of the Boy Scouts open source project that has me
>> excited is the opportunity to spread the word about OSS.  We'll be
>> building a section of the site called "About Open Source" that will be
>> dedicated to educating the world about open source.  The About Open
>> Source section will be a Wiki and the open source community (NTLUG
>> included) will be invited to build the content.
>>
>> --
>> Greg Edwards
>
> Open Source Religion
>
> The movement of open source is important because it's a return to where
> we have been in the beginnings of the IT industry.  Software was the
> stuff that made the computer useful... it was the computer that we paid
> for.  The business of selling software as a product is a bad idea and
> everything that has followed since then to support that business model
> has become disastrous.  And movements in the direction of "software as a
> service" is even more dangerous as important data and information has
> even greater potential of being locked away from users and/or accessed
> by other parties.  Open Source restores power and control to those who
> need it most.
>
> But evangelizing F/OSS is a pretty big turn-off for most people and I
> believe it does more harm than good.  If your first exposure to F/OSS
> came in the form of some crazed enthusiast, or some religious sounding
> zealot, the significance of F/OSS would be over-powered by other
> impressions left on the people being presented to.  (This is largely why
> I have loved the Linux ads sponsored by IBM... IBM is nothing resembling
> a crazed enthusiast nor a religious zealot.  And if people first hear
> about Linux from the likes of IBM, people are more inclined to associate
> Linux and F/OSS with established and powerful business.)
>
> 'Spreading the Word' is an idea that is worrisome to me for some reason
> and I think it's because it reminds me of religion.  We're talking about
> information technology, software and data formats that can be trusted
> and breaking vendor lock-in.  And I'm sorry to put it this way, but when
> F/OSS is presented as if it were a religion, people start to question
> how much of your knowledge is factual and how much is 'faith' because
> whether or not we acknowledge it directly, people associate some things
> [...]
Actually, whether it is religious (in the original, plain meaning of the
term) or not, there is a way to promote it and a way not to promote it.
  Zealotry seems to fall in the 'way not to ..' category and the object
of the zealotry doesn't matter: religion (Christianity, Islam, etc.),
business (Amway, Avon, whatever), an idea (Democrat, Republican, Open
Source, fill-in-the-blank) or anything else for that matter.