[NTLUG:Discuss] in a world where grep doesn't have the -m (match) option..

Richard ntlug at rain4us.net
Wed Mar 26 09:12:44 CDT 2008

Steve Baker wrote:
> <snip>
> Of course you could also grab the sourcecode for GNU grep and install it
> on whatever pathetic machine you're using that doesn't have '-m'...but
> that's another story!

When a machine is up for > 1400 days...and has been serving the needs of
the users..it's hard to justify an upgrade.   STILL..it is getting old
enough that working on it with is becoming cost prohibitive.  As an
interesting side note I went to compile a newer version of grep but
couldn't untar the newer grep source it with a -j because tar lacked the
-j option!  :)   A minor inconvenience but all is well now.

Thanks all for your responses.

--
Richard