[NTLUG:Discuss] Broadcom wireless working for me - fyi

Stephen Davidson gorky at freenet.carleton.ca
Thu Apr 3 11:21:13 CDT 2008

Wayne Dahl wrote:
| Stephen Davidson wrote:
|>
|> Greetings.
|>
|> Just an FYI, I've got my Broadcom Wireless working on my HP Pavillion
|> Laptop, w/o ndiswrapper.  Definitely working 802.11b mode, not sure yet
|> about 802.11g (its a hybrid card).  This email is coming to you over a
|> 802.11b network.
|>
|> Apparently, due to license issue, the drivers can not be shipped with
|> the distros.  Linux, and possibly some of the other distros, provide an
|> install script;
|> install_bcm43xx_firmware
|> which will download and install the appropriate drivers.  Note that this
|> ~ script DOES require that you be connected to the internet before
|> executing.
|>
|> Let me know if you want anymore details.
|>
|> Regards,
|> Steve
|>
| I would like to hear this as well.  I have an HP DV9620US laptop that I
| have yet to get the broadcom card working on.  I'm currently using a
| Sprint broadband modem for internet access on it.
|
| lspci returns....
|
| 03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM94311MCG wlan
| mini-PCI (rev 02)
|
| lspci -v returns....
|
| 03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM94311MCG wlan
| mini-PCI (rev 02)
|         Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Unknown device 1374
|         Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 22
|         Memory at f6000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
|         Capabilities: <access denied>
|
| I don't know if this is a different NIC than the normal Broadcom 4311
| with the BCM9 designation, but any help getting this beast working would
| be GREATLY appreciated.  I've tried the drivers supplied by Kubuntu, the
| fwcutter thing, ndiswrapper...so far, nothing has worked.  I'm probably
| not doing it right.
|
| I've actually tried working on this, then quit and gone back to it
| several times.  Googling for it gives me a headache because there are so
| many different things to try, I've probably hosed my networking stack
| completely up trying to get this frickin' thing to work.  HP did most of
| this laptop good for Linux compatibility.  They should be SHOT for the
| wireless.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Wayne Dahl (to differentiate from my OTHER brother Wayne.  :)  )

Hi Wayne.

lspci
02:02.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g
Wireless LAN Controller (rev 03)

lspci -v
02:02.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g
Wireless LAN Controller (rev 03)
~        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Unknown device 12f8
~        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 64, IRQ 17
~        Memory at e0104000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]

I would also recommend a visit to Broadcom's site.  They do have some
linux install instructions in their support section.  Might help.  (A
web support ticket with HP as well probably would not hurt).

Regards,
Steve