[NTLUG:Discuss] What is the best method to communicate between adevice and a server?

Greg Edwards gedwards at netbsa.org
Fri Apr 4 09:03:13 CDT 2008

Kip,

I assume that you're writing binary executables for this, not shells?

One option that would be worth looking at would be CORBA.  CORBA is well
supported on Linux and has multiple language APIs.  Orbit2 (Gnomes
CORBA) is native for C and has hooks for others.  CORBA was built to
talk across networks, including TCP/IP.

If the client is running on a *nix appliance then having NTP running
should keep the system clock where you need it.  There shouldn't be any
need to "implement" anything in your client program.

--
Greg Edwards