[NTLUG:Discuss] Slackware 12.1 is released!

Sally Welch skwelchit at gmail.com
Wed May 7 17:15:27 CDT 2008

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 4:41 PM, terry <trryhend at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 10:37 AM, Sally Welch <skwelchit at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The newest Slackware is out!  It uses the 2.6.24.5 kernel, X11 7.3.0,
> and
> >  KDE 3.5.9 or Xfce 4.4.2.  It has new network install options, ootb
> support
> >  for ntfs filesystems, new Intel wireless support,  and greatly improved
> >  internationalization support.
> >
> >  Here's the official announcement:
> >  http://www.slackware.com/announce/12.1.php
>
> Thanks for the good information!
> About the network install option; Is this it?:
> http://alien.slackbook.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=slackware:pxe
> If so, have you used it yet?
>  If so, how did it go?
> --
>  <><

That link describes the network PXE boot install, which seems to work like
Solaris's jumpstart.  No, that hasn't been added natively to Slackware,
Terry.  I do know two people who have used Alien's method, though, and it
works great.  One uses it exclusively.

With Slackware 12.1, out of the box, there is now http and ftp install
methods available, in addition to the nfs install.  I haven't tried them
yet, but I might use ftp soon.   I've heard it works fast and well.

Sally