[NTLUG:Discuss] Suggestions For A Saturday Presentation

MadHat Unspecific madhat at unspecific.com
Fri Aug 22 15:29:31 CDT 2008

Allen Meyers wrote:

>  Ok so my shortcomings are linux commands. Then why when directed to place kdewalletmanager both into the konsole as well as alt+f2 I remain at an impasse. Is it something that goes before after or what?. Another words is that command specific to a certain distro. Obviously not ubuntu since that did not work for me
> Thanks
> Allen

Wow, this is really hard to follow.

Most commands are not specific to any Distribution, but to the
environment.   If you are using a shell, the environment will be the
shell you chose, by default this is often bash.  If you are using X, the
environment is going to be Gnome or KDE in most cases or what ever
window manager or Desktop Environment you are using.  ALT-F2, last I
checked, opens a "Run" dialog, so what ever you type in will be run, the
same (usually) as when you put it into a console.  The specific running
environment may be slightly different as when you launch a shell via
console, it will run your local .rc files to load the settings stored
within, but through ALT-F2, I do not believe it does...  in Winders
terms a shell or console is similar to running cmd.exe and the ALT-F2 is
similar to going Windows+R or going Start->Run.