[NTLUG:Discuss] ubuntu disaster!!!

terry trryhend at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 10:44:27 CDT 2008

I'll be glad to fix it, but it's pretty easy.
Here's the way I do it.
Boot Slackware #1 install CD
Follow instructions on the screen to boot Ubuntu:
=================================
In a pinch, you can boot your system from here with a command like:

boot: hugesmp.s root=/dev/hda1 rdinit= ro

In the example above, /dev/hda1 is the / Linux partition.
================================
So, [for example] if Ubuntu is installed on hda2, do this:

hugesmp.s root=/dev/hda2 rdinit= ro

After it boots, bring up a terminal and look at /boot/grub/menu.lst
for errors [but I doubt that there are any] and repair if needed and
then type:

sudo grub-install /dev/hda

sudo reboot

And that should do it.
   if not...  817-995-7273

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 2:47 PM, john stiers <lonestar17 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Hello, All,
>   A friend was helping me install Ubuntu on my 2nd HD....I thought he KNEW what he was dong,,,obviously NOT!!!   Now my computer won't boot... Grub error 17.
>  Apparently he corrupted the MBR by mis labeling the grub boot sequence....
>
>  This is all beyond me!!!  Can someone please help?   I'll be glad to pay what ever your need!!!   My computer is a dell 4550 desktop.  Works perfectly...
>  I need it back since all my work materials are there....
>
>   When I came to a meeting last month, Terrance was there and HE was GREAT!!!!  He partitioned my Compaq laptop with P. magic - installed Ubuntu in minutes!!!
>  It's all about what your know.....and whom.....
>   Thanks for suggestions and help.
>   John in Dallas 214 319 2620

<><