[NTLUG:Discuss] DVD writing problems.

Steve Baker steve at sjbaker.org
Sun Sep 7 06:32:28 CDT 2008

Rick Cook wrote:
> Steve,
>
> Have you checked permissions on the device k3b is pointing to for DVDs. We
> are still using SUSE 9.3 on one of our "lab" networks at work. To
> identical machines with theoretically identical installations of SUSE 9.3
> work differently. Mine could write DVDs and CDs with equal ease. The
> orther could write CDs but, similar to yours, would not detect DVD media.
> It turned out that running k3b with root privileges made the DVD media
> magically appear.

It doesn't seem to be permissions - the device is /dev/hdc - and SuSE
has created
symlinks to that from /dev/cdrom, /dev/cdrecorder, /dev/dvd and
/dev/dvdrecorder.
/dev/hdc has wide-open permissions - and I get the same results running
as root
as I do as a normal user.
> If you still live in Cedar Hill (and can't get the DVD written soon), I
> can meet you somewhere and give you an openSUSE DVD. You want i586 or
> x86_64?

Actually, I'm down in RoundRock - we're in the process of relocating
down here.
Thanks for the offer - but I need to get the DVD burning thing down
anyway.  If
all else fails, my kid has a DVD writer in his laptop that'll do - but
he's at college
(UT Dallas) - so that's a 400 mile round-trip!

If all else fails, I'll do the SuSE 11.0 install from their "Mini CD"
and do an install
over the network.   I did that with my laptop last week.  It worked fine
- but it took
~25 hours even on a fast net connection (6500 kbps TimeWarner).  Sadly,
my laptop
doesn't have a DVD burner either.

  -- Steve.