[NTLUG:Discuss] 64/32 question

Daniel Hauck daniel at yacg.com
Tue Sep 23 09:19:56 CDT 2008

Fred さんは書きました:
> What are the relative merits of running 32-bit Linux
> on a dual core (or dual processor... is that the same
> thing?) computer vs 64-bit?
>
> Some reports show that the 64-bit systems run
> some programs really fast but others have very little
> real difference. I also hear that the 64-bit systems are
> not yet fully developed and there are myriad pitfalls
> waiting. OK, not the kernel, just all those other programs
> that are in the package. The opensuse list is full of stories
> documenting many hours of what I see as unnecessary
> farting around with stuff that is supposed to work out of the box.
>
> I am considering upgrading my hardware and if a 32-bit
> system will install on it, then that is what I am leaning
> toward. I could always install a 64-bit system on it later.
>

> Thoughts?
>

>From personal experience, 64 bit can be a little frustrating.  Where
proprietary technologies are concerned, you will find that there is 64
bit Java, but no 64 bit Java browser plugin.  This hinders your ability
to run "any" Java apps over the web.  Not a show-stopper for everyone,
but certainly for me at times.  Other problems are with games and
libraries for multimedia parts... some games just don't want to work
well.  Getting Flash to work was a little cumbersome as well.  I
followed directions on how to do that from a variety of sources and
whatever "missing" thing there was, I can't be sure, but when I
installed 64 bit Fedora a second time, it went more smoothly using an
automated setup script someone put together.

I am still running 64bit, however.  I can't say for certain if this is
snappier or better in any particular way, but I see no cause to
re-install.  I will say if "ease" is of primary concern to you, then
stick with 32 bit.