[NTLUG:Discuss] The Beagle dog on SuSE

Leroy Tennison leroy_tennison at prodigy.net
Wed Jan 28 19:30:55 CST 2009

Chris Cox wrote:
> Leroy Tennison wrote:
>> ... 10.3 to be exact.  Wondered why my machine was running dog slow.
>> Thought I had killed off the hound some time back when we first had the
>> Beagle discussion.  However, looked at the process table and there it
>> was: beagled (and beagle-helper something).
>
> You can try removing all of the beagle packages... though there
> may be some dependency conflicts in doing that (not sure).
>
> It usually stays dead when configured to be dead though...
> at least from my own experience.
>
>> Went to Services in the GUI - no beagle listed.  Went to the init
>> scripts under /etc, no obvious mutts there either.  Fortunately 'grep -R
>> beagle *' at /etc surfaced at least one issue, SuSE had launched it via
>> cron.  Created /etc/cron.never and moved the beagle script there, we'll
>> see if I've fixed the problem and found all the culprits.
>>
>> Anybody know if SuSE has any other standard ways of launching this mongrel?
>>
>> This raises the question "Is there a way to prevent a daemon from
>> running something akin to hosts.deny for disallowing access by various
>> hosts?"

Thanks for the points, it looks like I'm going to have to either remove
the package, rename the executable or something (it was back tonight).
After killing it again things were still slow.  'top' surfaced another
culprit: zypper

Now I've got to figure out what's causing it to run and decide whether I
can do something about that.