[NTLUG:Discuss] print resolution

Chris Cox cjcox at theendlessnow.com
Fri Jan 30 15:36:17 CST 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 13:19 -0800, Dennis Kaptain wrote:
> I am considering replacing my Epson Stylus C88+ ink jet printer with a color laser printer.
>
> The HP CP1518ni driver "works perfectly" according to
> http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-Color_LaserJet_CP1518ni
> and it is barely within my price range (< $500).
>
> My only concern is the 600x600 dpi resolution. Will that be enough to print good looking photographs? Will 600 dpi images be speckled or is 600 dpi enough that most people with normal vision will see it as a good image.

I'd say a heck of a lot of digital photography is done at 300dpi..
so yes, 600dpi is enough and even at 300dpi, it will look sharper
than your 100000000dpi inkjet.

Search for cp3505n on ebay.  Buy one.... you won't be disappointed.
It's PostScript... and it's a networked printer... etc... etc..
Toner cost over 2-3 years is about 1/4 that of equivalent
inkjet cartridges... and you'll get lightning fast printouts
(a few seconds vs. several minutes per page).

HP does make glossy and matte papers... I use them on mine.
Again, if you have pic you want me to print and bring to
an NTLUG meeting, I am willing.. so you can see how it is
in real life.

In fact, I do a lot of photos on plain paper... that's how
much better it is vs. inkjet.

(A former Epson Stylus C8x user)