[NTLUG:Discuss] Is this the way it's supposed to work?

Leroy Tennison leroy_tennison at prodigy.net
Wed Apr 29 02:01:41 CDT 2009

(BTW, I'm running SuSE 10.3.)  Given a directory with the following
subdirectories (others removed for brevity):

    Desktop
    Documents

Doing

    cd De*

puts me in the Desktop subdirectory.  At this point doing

    cd ../Do*

puts me in the Documents directory.  Next, doing

    cd D*

puts me in the Desktop subdirectory.

I first discovered this by accident in DOS under Windows then thought
"Is it the same under Linux?"  I think the 'cd D*' returns an error
under Windows, don't have a installed copy at home so I can't test.

 From my DOS programming days (yes, I'm THAT old!) I remember findfirst
and findnext and thus understand what's probably going on behind the
scenes.  I'm just surprised that this kind of fuzziness exists in the
UI.  Bug or feature (or both)?