[NTLUG:Discuss] permission on new partition

Carl Haddick sysmail at glade.net
Thu May 14 08:26:12 CDT 2009

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 11:29:44PM -0500, Leroy Tennison wrote:
> Allen Meyers wrote:
> > I have a 160 GB storage drive and had a single partition working great.
> > I needed to categorize so I added a partition see
> >
> > http://s577.photobucket.com/albums/ss219/worthamtx/
> >
> > Short time after adding partition the 2nd icon aame up on desktop so I
> > assumed auto mount. Well I could not have been more mistaken.
> > See icons on link above as well.
> > The data partition identified by data icon refuses permission to permit storage.
> > Here is results mount command. Please note near end it says sdc rather then sdb
> >

> If you 'cd /media' and do 'ls -al' what is the listing (I'm looking for
> permissions here)?  This is my primary suspicion concerning what's wrong
> since we're assuming the partition was auto-mounted.
>
> Since the partitions are ext4 something which *** might *** work (if
> they haven't changed things too much in ext4) would be to get all the
> volume names with dumpe2fs.  For example, do 'dumpe2fs /dev/sdc1 | grep
> name'.  Repeat for all partitions.
>
> Something else which might help is to run 'parted -l' to get a different
> perspective on your partitions.

Hey, Allen,

Also try 'ls -ald' from /media, or do a 'ls -ald /media' to see what the
directory's permissions are.  From /media, ls -al will show you the
permissions of any files that are already there, but it's still possible
for the directory to not allow write.  The execute bit lets you into the
directory, but you also need write to be able to modify it.

As root, 'chown you:yourgroup /media' might be all you need to do.

Don't know why I keep thinking of that perl function called 'chomp'...
Oh, wait, I know - there's that new restaurant in town.  Another lunch
one of these days?  :-)

Carl