[NTLUG:Discuss] Very nice Linux laptop for sale (2.8GHz, 4gb ram, 8cell, 320gb 7200rpm)

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 12:15:45 CDT 2009

On 6/15/09, Tim Caswell <tim at creationix.com> wrote:
> I recently bought a very nice souped up System76 Gazelle Ultra, but for
>  some upcoming projects I need something that runs OSX.  So in order to
>  pay for a new MacBook, I'm selling my laptop at a loss ($200 off) to
>  anyone interested in the group.
>
>  I checked the website today and this laptop is still selling for about
>  $1500.  I'm selling it for $1300 or best offer in like new condition.
>
>  Here are the specs:
>
>  System 76 Gazelle Ultra
>  - Design standard - chrome Ubuntu logo
>  - Operating System Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope) 64 Bit Linux
>  - Processor Core 2 Duo P9700 2.80 GHz 1066 MHz FSB 6 MB L2 (25 Watt)
>  - Memory 4 GB - DDR2 800 MHz - 2 DIMMs
>  - Hard Drive 320 GB 7200 RPM SATA II
>  - Optical Drive CD-RW / DVD-RW
>  - Wireless Intel Wi-Fi Link 5100 - 802.11A/B/G/N Up to 300 Mbps
>  - Bluetooth Bluetooth
>  - Extra Battery Extra 8 Cell Smart Li-ION Battery
>  - Hardware Warranty 1 Yr. Ltd. Warranty and 1 Yr. Technical Support
>
>  Pictures can be found at
>  http://system76.com/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=89

With a souped up laptop but an 8 cell battery what was the battery life?
I ask because it is always a tradeoff between performance and decent
battery life.
IMHO, 4 hours is decent battery life.
My performance laptop gets about 1.5 hours of "useful" battery life.
It is a 6 cell battery.
I am seeing "netbook" battery life of 7-8 hours. I still haven't
figured out if a netbook would cover all my needs. For example, can I
do software development be done satisfactorily (performance wise) on a
netbook?