[NTLUG:Discuss] VPN Setup Help required

Michael Barnes barnmichael at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 13:08:33 CST 2010

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 7:37 AM, Stephen Davidson
<gorky at freenet.carleton.ca> wrote:

> Leroy Tennison wrote:
>> Stephen Davidson wrote:
>> Greetings.
>>
>> I supposed I really should post this on the jobs list, but I would like
>> to post my results back here when done.
>>
>> I need help getting a VPN client setup on SuSE Linux (11.0).  Can be
>> either Cisco (preferred) or MS.  The SysAdmins where I am at do not yet
>> know linux, and also would like the setup instructions.
>>
>> So far, I have spent two days (on this attempt!) at this, with ZERO
>> success.  As this needs to be done for work, I am willing to pay a
>> reasonable "consulting" fee for this info (I have already spent WAY more
>> time on this than I should have).  Business hours preferred, with some
>> notice, so that the sysadmin can be available for any configuration
>> and/or tokens (RSA, anyone?) that may be required.  A "long lunch" is
>> acceptable.  But can be after hours, especially if we are taking the MS
>> route.
>>
>> I really need to get this working.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Steve (Java Dude)

We've got all Cisco stuff at work.  We're using a web interface from
Juniper Networks. It has worked fine on every combination of Linux and
browser I have tried it on.  It does install a client on my machine as
a plugin.  Unfortunately, they keep pretty tight lipped about it, and
I haven't had time to research it.  But it seems to work quite well.
They have it interfaced with Active Directory as part of the common
logon thing.

I did try using a somewhat generic Cisco linux client I downloaded
from the net someplace.  Tried it on SUSE 10.2. I was able to connect,
but it was real klunky.

Michael