[NTLUG:Discuss] Keyboard problems in either X or KDE

Leroy Tennison leroy_tennison at prodigy.net
Sun Mar 14 23:35:47 CDT 2010

The asterisk key in the numeric keypad part of the keyboard doesn't work
(is ignored) using CentOS 5.4.  I've tried searching the web for an
answer but both "asterisk" and "asterisk key" refer to the open source
VOIP PBX and I'm getting too many erroneous hits.  If I toggle over to a
command prompt (Ctrl-Alt-F1) it does work (and it worked under Debian)
so I know it's not a hardware issue.  I tried changing the XkbModel
setting from pc105 to pc104 and restarting X but it had no effect.

I'm hoping someone has encountered this problem and can share the fix
with me because searching the web is proving to be an exercise in futility.