[NTLUG:Discuss] SuSE post 11.0 BAD NEWS - Need a new distro

Val Harris valwharris at verizon.net
Tue Mar 30 13:56:33 CDT 2010

Stephen Davidson wrote:

> Greetings.

> At this point, I am looking for a new distribution.  What it needs to
> support "out-of-the-box";
> - - Thunderbird
> - - Firefox
> - - AMD-64 bit
> - - Wireless (would prefer support of built-in chips, but ability to
> purchase and use Wireless PCMCIA or USB cards acceptable)
> - - VPN
> - - USB Harddisks, including encrypted ones.
>
> Would like support for (but not required):
> - - Evolution
> - - Cups Printing
> - - Guest OSes (Convenient to be able to run MS in a window, I
> occasionally need to see how IEx renders a webpage)
> - - Multi-CPU Hardware
> - - Blackberry Syncing
>
> Suggestions?
>
> - -Steve

I run Ubuntu on a Dell laptop.  Currently 9.10, but started back in the
6.06 time frame.  Never had any issues with wireless or USB.  I have no
experience with AMD-64 or Blackberry, but everything else on your list
should just work.

HTH,
Val W. Harris		valwharris at verizon.net

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into
  trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just
  ain't so." - Mark Twain