[NTLUG:Discuss] How to write converted file format from vi?

Neil Aggarwal neil at JAMMConsulting.com
Thu May 6 17:25:15 CDT 2010

Hello:

I received a CSV file from a data provider, but it has
a lot of non-printing characters in it.  Here is what
the first part of the file looks like when I do a head
on it:

--" 5 " , " 5 0 0 9 0 " , " R 1 0 0 0 0 0 " , " 5 9 1 0 - 0 4 - 0

When I open the file in vi, it displays as normal text:

"5","50090","R100000","5910-04-0

The bottom of the vi window states this:
"t.csv" [converted] 934393L, 181540523C

So, vi did some kind of conversion on it.

I want to write the converted version of the file
out to a new file, so I tried

:w /tmp/test2.txt

but the new file still has the non-printing characters.

Is there a way to tell vi to write the version of the file
it converted?

Thanks,
	Neil

--
Neil Aggarwal, (281)846-8957
FREE trial: cPanel VPS with unmetered bandwidth