[NTLUG:Discuss] Sound Problem

Wayne Walker wwalker at solid-constructs.com
Sun Sep 19 14:12:31 CDT 2010

On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 10:54:18AM -0500, Bobby Sanders wrote:
> Sorry for being so dumb.  Ubutu 10.04 installed on a Toshiba Sattalite
> P105-S6084.
>
> Sound has not worked since I installed Linux on this system.  I have
> googled all sorts of stuff with no success.  As I was exploring the
> system today, I discovered that the iBus daemon was not running.  What
> does the iBus daemon do?  Should I start it?  Should I always start it
> on boot?  Might it possibly solve the sound problem?

On recent linuxes, I've found that often I have to right click the sound
icon, select applications and unmute the application.  The application
does not think it is muted, the main volume is not muted, just
_something_ mutes the application.   Weird.

Linux sound is now more complicated than _all_ of windows.

Every change to Linux sound seems to be for the worse these days.

--

Wayne Walker
wwalker at solid-constructs.com
(512) 633-8076