[NTLUG:Discuss] Linux Router Configuration

Dennis dennis at dearroz.com
Sat Dec 4 18:29:49 CST 2010

I am attempting to set up a very simple router using Fedora 11.  I must
be doing something that is obviously wrong, but do not know what.

What I have done:
1.    On Ethernet 0 I set up a secondary address on a different network.
2.    I set the /etc/sysctl.conf file to set the net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1.
3.    I turned iptables (chkconfig) off in order to insure that nothing
would interfer.
4.    I ssh'ed to another computer where I then pinged both my normal
"router" address and the secondary address.  The secondary address does
not respond (primary does).

Everything I have searched on the Internet points to that being the only
requirement.  Once I get the base system running, then I can play with
the iptables configuration.

Appreciate advice

Dennis