[NTLUG:Discuss] Solved, sort of [Was: Re: floppy questions]

Fred James fredjame at fredjame.cnc.net
Thu Dec 9 16:25:07 CST 2010

(omissions for brevity)
Well as it happens, apparently I have a bunch of bummed out floppies.
I widened my search to include a full box of old floppies, first trying
to format one (any one - any format) ... bingo, I found a disk that
would format, verify and check for bad blocks, all without error!

To test that, I mounted the floppy, and put a file on it, etc. ... still
cool!

Final test ... I have an old Win95 startup floppy ... mounted, etc. ...
with each of the following
    mount /dev/fd0 /media/floppy
    mount floppy

So, I guess that's done ... thanks for all the input
Regards
Fred James

PS: out of the struggle, I also learned what mode-3 (or 3-mode) floppy
means.