[NTLUG:Discuss] Website design questions

David Simmons dave at dgnal.net
Thu Feb 3 20:42:23 CST 2011

I'd say - start with those that have already invented the wheel.  What I
mean by that is using some of the CMS (Content Management Software) suites
that already have alot of the work done for you.  Then by customizing a free
theme, you're must quicker to a good looking solution then 'rolling one by
hand'

You might consider:  http://wordpress.org/   has a great Docs/learning area
here --> http://codex.wordpress.org/Getting_Started_with_WordPress

<http://codex.wordpress.org/Getting_Started_with_WordPress>or maybe
http://www.joomla.org/

<http://www.joomla.org/>or if you really want the best; check out:
http://www.pmwiki.org/  (our own NTLUGer!?)

just a thought,

-dave

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 8:30 PM, Fred <fredstevens at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Anyone want to have a go at answering some rather basic questions
> about website design concepts? I put a site together and it works, but...
>
> That is about all I can say for it.  Basically, I made the home page and
> figured that I would not proceed farther until I got that part right. The
> concept, which sounded good at the time, was to forego flash and
> use an animated gif image as the background image for the page.
> The biggest problem is the gif file size. At almost 2 megs it takes way
> too long to load the home page. So it is time to back up and start over
> since I don't believe that this can be fixed.
>
> Which brings me back to the beginning: anyone want to spend a little
> time talking with me about the finer points of web design?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Fred

Those with sight believe what's believable. Those with vision know what's
unbelievable.