[NTLUG:Discuss] Fair Rename

agoats at compuserve.com agoats at compuserve.com
Tue May 3 21:06:34 CDT 2011

I think instead of focusing so much on software, let's consider the user
experience. There are gamers, e-mailers, YouTubers, home office,
business office, school student, school teacher, school district.... Why
not focus on usability software and what we use, regardless of whether
it is free open source, free closed source, cheap priced software or
expensive software?

Major topics could be:
Gamers:  using wine to play Microsoft games,  Linux games you may not
know about.

YouTubers: what do YOU use for YouTube? Can you capture a video and
convert it?

Home Office: GnuCash, OpenOffice, OpenProject, ....?

Business Office: MRP Floor control software (if it does what is needed,
companies will pay for it, hang open source). Law Office, Dental Office,
Dr's Office, factory, .... lots of opportunities here. Anybody know
anything that fits, regardless of cost/open source?

Schools:  Ripe for the picking with the economic crunch! SEUL (Secondary
Education Userspace Linux) anyone?

Video editing, movie conversion, ripping CD's to mp3, burning DVD/CD....
just what can I do with my digital camera and it's videos? How about my
Sansa player or iPod, using RockBox anyone? How about movie/video
conversion to mediaplayer formats (I have some for the Sansa E260 and
the C200). Anyone else?

IF we focus on things for the USER and less on whether the software
meets an individuals cost/openness preferences we should be able to have
a good show and include things that others may need. Business needs some
custom software and are willing to pay for it, but preferably not bleed
to death to do so. Like I said, I do buy software and I did buy QCad and
Cepstral speech software as it fits my needs; I use nVidia's drivers
with their closed source accelerators because of performance boost. Most
of my software is Open Source, but I'm not a zealot over it as Open
Source does NOT completely fulfill my needs.   I am a USER, hear me ROAR! ;D

On this tact, we might be able to  have IBM, Oracle and others join in
with booths  and sponsorship as they have software on Linux though they
charge for the software. This also opens things up for RedHat, SuSe and
others with enterprise software and support, also possible sponsors.
What's the latest with Id Software or Loki? Sponsors, demos, freebies,
disks, software, where would these come from ?

Just some more things to consider with having a Faire/Expo.

Hmmmmm..... User Space Software Expo!   This is so open it includes
EVERYONE!   YAAAAYYYY!

Alvin