[NTLUG:Discuss] Discuss Digest, Vol 105, Issue 13

Gilbert Morrow gkfmorrow at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 11:38:50 CDT 2011

The problem I had was not map data, that was the easy part, but the
Earthmate by Delorme was USB and not Serial. Had no laptop with Serial and
no matter how I tried could not get GPS software to recognize unit. So
mapping data was not the catch or hangup. Perhaps now the software may be
able to detect USB devices but three years ago it could not , and that its
why the Android experience was a pleasant and welcome surprise .

Thieves come though Windows, that its why I use Linux.
On Sep 19, 2011 9:56 AM, "John Fields" <wigthft at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ah! You mean me!
> Add a "uhlds" to the end and you will have it. Fee-uhlds. ;)
>
> Why yes - I can.
> Sorry, I had been caught up in Software Freedom Day (was Saturday),
starting a business, etc. :)

> So manning a table, or a projector type demo?
> Open streetmap on a tablet is kinda nice too.
>>-----------
>
> Ralph:
> You are spot on about the issue being licensing of the mapping data. No
providers save OSM license their data (for free) to be
> cached, or saved, or reloaded to another device as you see fit. However,
they each do that in limited ways, and always for money.

> You can export OSM map data in GPX format which any Garmin will import,
and with some app help can be translated into other formats
> for other systems/devices. So GPX is your target format most likely.
>
> Separately: what most of us see in mapping apps is actually "tiles". Tiles
are not the same as the map data, because they are "the
> final product" and always augmented with location specific data such as
restaurants, overhead weather, consistent color coding, and
> other features. Hand held GPS are only now getting the ability to have
mini Tile-servers built in.

> I find the UI on phones more compelling for just that reaon, and aside
from the phone company knowing where my cell (generally) is
> and giving me on demand data, it makes for a better mapping experience.
You can always turn off the cellular radio when you go
> exploring. A second hand android phone with no SIM/account but with WiFi
would be just the ticket I think. Or a China cheap 7"
> tablet (daylight issue). Resistive display works better with gloves on
too.

> But if you are sold on a dedicated GPS unit, then you get into an
interesting world of specialization. I'll try and dig up a link to