[NTLUG:Discuss] srt files and movies on linux

David Stanaway david at stanaway.net
Sat Jun 2 17:21:25 CDT 2012

On 6/1/2012 11:41 PM, David Stanaway wrote:
> On 6/1/2012 12:18 PM, Fred James wrote:
>> Looking for any experience or advice concerning adding subtitles to
>> downloaded movies, ON LINUX ... no windows or mac here ... thanks
>> Regards
>> Fred James
>

> vlc works through gui for subtitle selection.
>
> I know I have used mplayer gui as well, but that was years ago.
>
> ffmpeg can render the srt into an encoded output.
>
> It might help if you mention which player you are using, or otherwise
> what you mean by 'adding' ?
>
> Now I do have to add an srt to a movie for plex to stream to my roku
> and will be using ffmpeg to do that, would the command I use for that
> be helpful?

ffmpeg -i "Vid.avi" -i "Vid.srt" -acodec libvo_aacenc -ac 2 -vcodec
libx264 -scodec dvdsub "VidOut.mp4"

Converts srt to dvdsub and using default presets, transoding to mp4
format with aac and h264 so I can play natively on my Roku box :)

Codec libraries may vary for your build

ffmpeg -codecs
to get a list. If you don't want to transcode, you can just
re-encapsulate the avi with something like this:

ffmpeg -i "Vid.avi" -i "Vid.srt" -acodec copy  -vcodec copy -scodec
dvdsub "VidOut.avi"

I am not sure if the AVI container supports the subtitle stream though...