[NTLUG:Discuss] My quickie csvtohtml (html tables) and finder scripts

Christopher Cox cjcox at acm.org
Sun Jul 22 13:06:26 CDT 2012

At the last meeting, Dennis presented some information about how flexible and
powerful Linux is... and one of the tools he mentioned was 'sed'.

Here's a quick and dirty (it's not perfect) script that translates a simple csv
file to an html table output... filter style (that is, it reads from stdin and
outputs to stdout)

Download it.. rename it to csvtohtml.sh and make it executable (if you like) and
give it a try.

http://endlessnow.com/ten/Source/csvtohtml-sh.txt

Also, Dennis mentioned how using a filter style allowed you to take simple
elements and combine them into bigger ones... so I introduced one of my favorite
one liners that makes it easy to find strings inside of an entire tree... but
just looking for text files.

http://endlessnow.com/ten/Source/finder-sh.txt