[NTLUG:Discuss] (no subject)

Fred fredstevens at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 11 12:50:24 CDT 2012

On Thu Oct 11 2012 Preston Hagar prestonh at gmail.com wrote:

> What is the rsync command you are using?  I use rsync all the time to
> backup mail servers that are full of files like that:
> example: 1349971653.V821I39e9ccM969658.email:2,ST
> generally I am just doing a rsync -a (or rsync -av if I am
> watching/logging it) on the directory.  So in your case it would be
> something like
> rsync -av ~/.kde4 /mnt/backupdrive/
> where /mnt/backupdrive/ is the path to where you want to put the copy.
> Try that out and post back any error messages.
>
>Preston

Well, Preston, I used rsync -a <from> <to> and got back a ton of
messages, most of which were

rsync: chown "<filemane>" failed: Operation not permitted (1)

This was from an operation run from su as root. It may be that all the files

copied. I will now copy the files from the flash drive back to the .kde4 directory
(I actually started from .kde4BCK). Then I will make sure the ownership is
correct. All this to see if I can get around a possible bad spot on the drive.
Maybe. All I know is that first kmail stopped, then firefox stopped, then kde
stopped. At least icewm still worked. Also, other logins worked. The system

log (dmesg) shows tons of drive messages, most of which aren't good. If I can
get it to fly again, then I will migrate over to my I5 cube running 12.1.

After waiting a bit to send this message, I went back to my user area and

made the changes. It all worked except for kmail's inbox... anyway, to
shorten the story a bit, I had corrupted index files in kmail. I removed
them, then restarted kmail and it came up ok.

I still have hard drive problems, too which I will address next.

Thanks for the help.
Fred