[NTLUG:Discuss] squashfs protlem editing and updating the sfs file

Bobby Wrenn bobby at wrennest.com
Fri Aug 9 08:15:36 CDT 2013

I have searched all the squashfs and Puppy Linux sites and can't find
any mention of this problem. Many mention unsquashing editing and
recreating the squashfs file. So I expect it should work, I must be
missing a parameter.
Using Puppy Linux 4.2.0 I need to edit shell scripts in the squashfs
file pup_420.sfs. I can unsquash the fs but when I mksquashfs the
resulting file causes a kernel panic during boot. This happens even if I
make no changes, just unsquash and recreate the sfs file.

I suspect the unsquash or the mksquashfs is affecting file permissions
but I don't know where or how to prevent it.

I created the original system a few years ago as a "factory restore"
solution for a netbook being distributed into remote areas where support
was impossible and users have little knowledge of computers. This worked
fine until now. The model of netbook is changing and I need to update
some scripts. I had help when I created the original system but that
help is not available to make a new image from scratch. I would like to
just edit the files and distribute the new image without figuring out
everything the other person did and recreating the whole system.

The recovery system is invoked by booting from the internal SD reader.
Puppy resides on an 8GB SD card which is never removed and is only used
when the factory restore is required.

Thanks,
Bobby Wrenn