[NTLUG:Discuss] Some background on tomorrow's meeting, Saturday 10/19

David Simmons dave at dgnal.net
Mon Oct 21 14:31:09 CDT 2013

One of these worked great/consistently for me:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_504359-50276-CM-2020_0__?productId=50005792&cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-Electrical-_-HomeAudioVideo-_-50005792&CAWELAID=320011480000722115&kpid=50005792&%22cagpspn=pla%22

Then, use this service to best determine which direction/angle to point
based on your actual address:

http://www.antennaweb.org/

-dave

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 2:10 PM, Chris Cox <cjcox at acm.org> wrote:

> Good ideas for sure... however, here's my reasoning.
>
> A MythTV box that does "good" DVR'ing isn't free.  So that's another
> expense.  Though you might be able to make the argument that the PMS box
> and the MythTV box are the same.
>
> Also, even with a powered antenna, I can't get all of the channels where
> I'm at, not reliably.  The Aereo gives you all channels.  It is slightly
> compressed, yes, but not unlike Netflix, etc.
>
> Also, with Aereo, I can watch my PVR and/or live TV anywhere.
>
> So, consider, antenna $20-30 (and doesn't get all channels, and sometimes
> doesn't do well on the "good" channels).  Consider the cost of putting
> together a DVR, in addition to the $300 for a PC, the cost of the grabber
> board, etc..  and consider the browser interface to make it work from
> anywhere.
>
> So, yes, certainly I do have an antenna, because I do like playing with
> DVR stuff, etc..  but it's not as "good" as what I get with Aereo.  And I
> already have device (tuner) for the grabs... but not everybody has one in
> their back pocket (cost... could be anywhere from $50+).
>
> So.. all depends on your needs.  I can go to any TV, any PC, and (shortly)
> even my phone and watch live TV and/or my recorded shows.  Setting all of
> that up on your own could be "hard" and likely pretty expensive and I
> can't even guarantee I'll have something "viewable" because antennas
> aren't perfect.
>

> > Chris - appreciate you sharing the information/thinking/testing/results.
> >
> > One thought about your 'Live TV' events is since these are all 'over the
> > air' signals (and the Aereo service is at least $96 per year) - why not
> > get
> > a a standard HD antenna, plug it into a recorder (bet you already have
> one
> > of those or could find cheap) and combine it with MythTV for the DVR
> > functionality?
> >
> > Even when we had cable, I would watch the local games OTA for one reason
> -
> > NO COMPRESSION.  The HD signal OTA is clean/clear/awesome.  The cable
> guys
> > (and I'm guess Aereo) compress the signal to save when the 'ship it
> > around'
> > through their gear.
> >
> > Just a thought.
> >
> > -dave

*"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more, and
become more - you are a leader."  - John Quincy Adams
*