[NTLUG:Discuss] Parental advice...

MadHat Unspecific madhat at unspecific.com
Tue Dec 17 11:03:01 CST 2013

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 10:08 AM, Mittelgeek <mittelgeek at gmail.com> wrote:
> You could use DHCP to push certain settings such as, DNS servers, routers,
> static routes, etc., out to certain clients as an easier way to setup the
> clients. The permissions thing still applies, of course.
>
> It's all in here: http://linux.die.net/man/5/dhcpd.conf or by typing man
> dhcp.conf at your firendly linux shell prompt.

Assuming you have a Linux box doing the DHCP control.  Easier is relative.

If you are relying on the box the network provider has you use, they
are not as configurable as they used to be.  UVerse is a perfect
example as you can't change the settings.  Personally, I work for a
living and with kids, a wife, and a life I use Linux for my
desktop/laptop, not for my gateway.  If you have the time, that is
awesome, but that is not the only option to utilize the OpenDNS
service.

Just saying.