[NTLUG:Discuss] OT USB standards

Christopher Cox cjcox at acm.org
Fri Feb 14 20:53:38 CST 2014

On 02/13/2014 05:50 PM, Fred James wrote:
> OT: USB standards
> In particular, the physical dimensions of the connections
> Why are the connections not all the same size ... even within one brand?
> In trying to plug a USB stick into a computer USB port I find some loose, some
> tight, and some just too big to fit at all.
> What's up with that?  Is this like other "industry standards" ... not standard
> at all?

The ones that are the worst are the plastic sheathed ones.  I guess they have to
make it a bit thicker.  Oh... I'm talking about USB sticks of course.

I have an USB SDHC adapter that fits really tight in my Cubox... oh.. and again,
I'm talking about a USB adapter and a USB port.... in case there was any
question about that.