[NTLUG:Discuss] Latitude C640/DockII Parallel Port: lp1?

agoats at compuserve.com agoats at compuserve.com
Sat Mar 15 23:02:19 CDT 2014

Steve,

Exactly which docking station do you have? We need the model number as
it appears there may be more than one model based on the C640 user manual.

Does the Canon printer work on the Dell without the dock? Not sure as
your statement is that the Canon is definitely operational, but not
clear if it is with the Dell.

I've had 2 types of issues with "external" video devices on a laptop:

1  You have to get the BIOS to do a function switch between monitors: on
the Dell documentation that is Fn F8 to switch between internal and
external monitors with the OS running.

2  To get an external monitor to be recognized, before you turn on the
laptop:

     Plug in the monitor and turn it on
     Make sure the monitor is hooked up to the dock/back plug
     Check there isn't anything in the BIOS that has to be set for both
internal and external to be functional
     Plug the laptop onto the dock
     Turn on the laptop and boot into your OS. The BIOS will sense the
external monitor and the OS should see the new hardware.

IF the external monitor becomes active, you're on your way. Make sure
the video setup in the software has both monitors available and set up
the X interface to your liking.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1000 and the above is what I went through to get
the Digital TV to become a "monitor".

Alvin