[NTLUG:Discuss] Newbie question re: apache2, php, etc

Greg Edwards greg at edwards-tx.us
Wed Feb 11 12:55:26 CST 2015

On 2/10/2015 9:59 PM, Fred wrote:
> Ok, I've had some time to hammer on this problem a bit more and
> what I have gotten is a headache ;-)
>
> I see that the mime type is included, as suggested and the Directory
> definition includes
>
> <Directory "/home/*/public_html">
>       Order allow,deny
>       Allow from all
> </Directory>
>
> although I'm not sure why it needs "/home/*/public_html".
> It also has
> <Directory /srv/www>
>      Order allow,deny
>      Allow from all
> </Directory>

The directory (or parent) that the files are stored in has to give
permission to serve the files.  If they were under /srv/www then the
/home/*/public_html wouldn't be needed.  I not entirely sure that the
wildcard works here since I've never tried that syntax before.

> because it is there where the different domains are located.
> Whatever...
>
> I have looked at various config files for both apache2 and php5
> and I am at the point where I need to work with someone who
> knows this subject, since I obviously do not. I am totally willing
> to act as a semi-intelligent remote for troubleshooting... it anyone
> would be willing to get involved in directing me it would be
> welcomed. It would be even better if that direction were in some
> more immediate mode, like texting or an actual phone call
> instead of the mind-numbing slowness of an online forum.
>
> Thanks,
> Fred
> Fred

I've dealt with this problem before with php5 but I can't remember the
exact solution.  I found discussions related to this on the web so the
info is out there.  IIRC it was either related to directory allow/deny
or allowoverride setting and usage of a local .htaccess files.

Good luck,
--
Greg Edwards
http://greg.edwards-tx.us