[NTLUG:Discuss] Basic script question

Bobby Wrenn bobby at wrennest.com
Wed Aug 10 08:23:49 CDT 2016

Wondering if the list is still active. My first send of this post has
not appeared in my email.

I need to set up why I am asking for help on a short notice.

I am making a trip to the jungle of Papua New Guinea to make voice
recordings of people reading scripture in their native language. I will
be recording the whole book of Genesis with speakers for each character
in the book. I may do other books as well. In order to work with other
translation groups the files must be in a very specific format with a
predetermined file name sequence. After all the recordings are done I
need to retain the original chunks and assemble the chunks into
chapters. I can determine the start and stop filename for each chapter.
The files will be in a consistent WAV format. I expect to use sox to
join the WAV files for each speaker into a file for each chapter. I have
been planning this trip for some time. But just received this new
requirement to join the files today. I get on a plane tomorrow and will
have an Internet connection in country for about two days before I head
into the bush with solar panels and a laptop.

I need help with a basic script to join the files given a start and stop
filename and an explicit output file name as parameters. Input file
names look like this "P1MSYPBT_01973.wav, P1MSYPBT_01974.wav, ...". The
output file will look like this "P1MSYPBT_001_GEN_01.wav,
P1MSYPBT_001_GEN_02.wav, ...".

I tried putting the files for a chapter in a separate directory and
running [for i in *.wav;do sox "$i" P1MSYPBT_001_GEN_01.wav;done]. But
it either got only the first file or left out the last file. It was not
consistent.

Any help greatly appreciated.

--
StG