[NTLUG:Discuss] sound, modules, and parameters

Seth Daniel seth at ti.com
Mon Aug 23 08:20:20 CDT 1999

According to /usr/src/linux/Documentation/kmod.txt (assuming you're
using kmod) you need to put this line in your root crontab:

  0-59/5 * * * * /sbin/rmmod -a

This will run once every 5 minutes and clean out unused
modules.

As for autocleaning when using kerneld...I'm not certain.  I haven't
used kerneld for some time.

On Fri, Aug 20, 1999 at 07:29:56PM -0500, Hrothgar wrote:
> i've got the same thing you do, yet you're modules don't autoclean.  i'm
> using kmod to do my module loading instead of the older kerneld.  i guess
> the pressing question in my mind is what makes a module autocleanable?
>
> cameron
>
>  [ How's my programming?  Call 1-800-DEV-NULL ]
>

> On Fri, 20 Aug 1999 Kyle_Davenport at compusa.com wrote:
>
> :
> :
> :On RH6, my lsmod looks like this:
> :opl3                   11208   1
> :sb                     33204   1
> :uart401                 5968   1  [sb]
> :sound                  57208   0  [opl3 sb uart401]
> :soundlow                 300   0  [sound]
> :soundcore               2372   6  [sb sound]
> :
> :(Note: no autocleaning)
> :With /etc/conf.modules:
> :alias sound sb
> :pre-install sound insmod sound dmabuf=1
> :alias midi opl3
> :options opl3 io=0x388
> :options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330
> :
> :Relevent commands on startup:
> :modprobe sound
> :modprobe midi
> :
> :Verify that depmod is running at startup and the dependencies have been found in
> : /lib/modules/2.2.5-15/modules.dep.
> :
> :_________________________________________________________________
> :
> :
> :
> :
> :
> :Hrothgar <hrothgar at endor.hsutx.edu> on 08/20/99 01:00:20 AM
> :
> :Please respond to discuss at ntlug.org
> :
> :To:   NTLUG <discuss at ntlug.org>
> :cc:    (bcc: Kyle Davenport/Is/Corporate/CompUSA)
> :Subject:  [NTLUG:Discuss] sound, modules, and parameters
> :
> :
> :
> :
> :i have an ES1788 soundcard that is being recognized as an ES1888, so i
> :need to pass "esstype=1788" to my sound module.  no prob...add it to
> :/etc/conf.modules.  the problem is that the module (and it's buddies) are
> :not being cleaned (removed) properly.  upon first loading the modules, i
> :get the following:
> :
> :  Module                  Size  Used by
> :  sb                     33492   0  (autoclean)
> :  uart401                 5904   0  (autoclean) [sb]
> :  sound                  56364   0  [sb uart401]
> :  soundcore               2148   5  (autoclean) [sb sound]
> :
> :
> :notice that "sound" is not set to autoclean.  so when my module loader
> :tries to autoclean i end up with this:
> [...]

seth daniel  |  Texas Instruments DMOS4/5
seth at ti.com  |   Automation Engineering