[NTLUG:Discuss] Win98 not talking to Linux Box

Steve Baker sjbaker1 at airmail.net
Fri Sep 24 11:19:37 CDT 1999

Carter B. Bennett wrote:

> Hi All,
> Well I got my mother board and CPU upgraded last weekend, and I'm still
> puting things togeather, I had to go from Win95 to Win98 because 95 was too
> slow for the hardware, ( or at least that's what the people at Fry's said
> ).

Whaaat??  That has got to rate as one of the least likely
explanations!   I guess the guy who gave you that advice
gets commission on Win98 sales!

> When I put my password in it tells me it's no good so I tryed root's
> password and that won't work either. What is different in 98 as
> far as this goes?

At the last NTLUG meeting about Samba someone said (IIRC) that
something about "plaintext passwords" had changed between 95 and
98.  I don't recall what the solution was (I'm not really interested
in Windoze so I was only half awake and not listening carefully)...
But I'm sure someone will tell you.  Try looking for a Windoze
"plaintext passwords" widget on some control panel or other.
Whatever it is set to now...flip it!

...Well, perhaps you should just wait for some *informed*
advice.

--
Steve Baker                (817)619-2657 (Vox/Vox-Mail)
Raytheon Systems Inc.      (817)619-2466 (Fax)