[NTLUG:Discuss] Any online dictionary?

Jay F. Cox baa204 at saturn.angelo.edu
Wed Dec 8 19:46:39 CST 1999

Ali Naddaf wrote:

> Dear Jay,
> Thanks for your reply. I tried to use the perl package but it complained
> about
> use LWP::UserAgent;
> use HTML::TreeBuilder;
> use HTML::FormatText;
> It seems that it can't find them. I am using Perl 5.005 and it can't find
> LWP/UserAgent or the rest. Are these special packages?
> Thanks, Ali.

Oh, damn I forgot that It needed some other CPAN modules to do it. The
LWP
modules are to retreive the web page, and obviously the HTML modules are
to parse the html.

you can search for specific modules if you just append the module name
to following url and entering it.

http://search.cpan.org/search?module=

The modules you'd need for this Module are:

http://www.perl.com/CPAN/authors/id/GAAS/HTML-Tree-0.51.tar.gz
http://www.perl.com/CPAN/authors/id/GAAS/libwww-perl-5.47.tar.gz

I'm not sure, but you may need this module as well.

http://www.perl.com/CPAN/authors/id/GAND/HTML-0.6.tar.gz

one ugly way to do what the module does (for the most part, the links at
the bottom arent included in using the perlmodule) is (subsituting $WORD
for the proper word)

lynx -dump -hiddenlinks=ignore
'http://work.ucsd.edu:5141/cgi-bin/http_webster?method=exact&isindex='$WORD
|perl -wne 's/\[\d+\]//g;print' | fmt

Sorry that my first post didn't turn out to be the simplest solution :(

Jay Cox
--
If you don't say anything, you won't be called on to repeat it.
                -- Calvin Coolidge