[NTLUG:Discuss] X 3.3.6 + Redhat 6.2 = Memory Prob

Steve Baker sjbaker1 at airmail.net
Tue May 9 22:06:54 CDT 2000

lee at brave.com wrote:

> Running X 3.3.6 on a relatively fresh install of RH 6.2.
>
> X consumes more and more memory over about a 8 hr period and then starts
> to thrash swap; only way out is to kill X.

Do you have any fancy background gadgets running?  What screensaver?

Have you tried disabling all that junk and setting everything to the
bare minimum?

> I had been running RH 6.0/1 with the X 3.3.6 server for quite a while with
> no problem like this, I'm sure there's something with the latest RH
> version which is causing the problem.  I'd experiment with X 4.0 but my
> chip isn't supported yet.  The problem is the same for both RPM X and
> compile-from-source X.  And no difference on either 2.2.14 or 2.2.15 Linux
> kernel either.
>
> Other relevent info: AMD K6 400MHz, 196M RAM, 313M swap, Cirrus video
> chip.
>
> Anyone have a clue about what might be going on with this?  Help?  :-)

Dunno - but I used a Cirrus chipset with Xfree 3.3.6 for quite a while.
(Also on a 400MHz K6 as it happens).

Since I don't generally shut down - or even log off my PC, and I only
have 64Mb of RAM and 100Mb or so of swap - it would have pretty obvious
if I had a problem - and I ran with that combination for *months*
without dying or rebooting.

I didn't ever run that combination with a 2.2.14 kernel - it
would have been under SuSE 6.3 which had 2.2.12 or so (IIRC).

--
Steve Baker                  http://web2.airmail.net/sjbaker1
sjbaker1 at airmail.net (home)  http://www.woodsoup.org/~sbaker